child support

childsupport establishment medical support employers location enforcement links directions legalactions interstate when should i call enforcing_license emancipation  most wanted paternity tax offset modifications state hearing payment central OCDA

  Why should I get a child support and medical insurance order for my child(ren)?

You may feel that you have sufficient resources to care for your child or feel that you are on good terms with the absent parent. You may feel that the absent parent is providing for your child even though you do not reside together. However, circumstances often change faster than any of us may plan on.

Having an established order for support and medical insurance will only benefit your child. Also if a party receives State benefits (OWF benefits) they are required, as a condition of receiving benefits, to cooperate with the CSEA.

  How is support determined?
  At an administrative hearing, the Hearing Officer will gather income information on both mother and father of the child. Then using the Ohio Support Guidelines a support obligation will be calculated. The goal of the guidelines is to determine the quality of living the child would have if both parents were residing together.
  How does the caseworker find out about the other parent's income or assets? I know very little about what he owns or makes.

The caseworker will make every possible effort to identify the parent's employment, property owned, and any other sources of income or assets. This information will be verified before the support order is final.

  What happens at the Administrative Hearing?

If both parties are present, the Hearing Officer will make inquires as to the parties' income, certain expenses, and other children of the parties which live with them or other children for whom they have a child support order. The parties are usually asked to bring certain information including income tax returns, proof of earnings and health insurance information. The Hearing Officer will then prepare a formula mandated by the State of Ohio. The Hearing Officer will also prepare an Administrative Order which may deal with the items of current support, birthing expenses due and owing to the State of Ohio, health insurance, and the Seek Work Program, among others.

  Will the administrative hearing establish retroactive child support?
  No. The administrative hearing will establish current support but not retroactive support. If a party is interested in such an order, they should seek private legal council.
  What is the minimum support order in Ohio?

The minimum order for support in Ohio is $50.00 per month. This minimum amount applies no matter the number of children involved. Only a Court of Law is able to deviate from this minimum amount if reasons exist that support should be less than $50.00 per month.

  I am married to the father but currently separated and no action for divorce or dissolution has been filed; can I still get child support?
  Yes. You should apply for services and we can establish an order for child support for you.
  Is the income of my current spouse or the other parent’s current spouse considered in calculating support?
  No. Only the incomes of the parents are considered in calculating support.
  I just heard that my son's mother has had three promotions in the last four years but the child support is still like it was six years ago. Is there some way to find out when she has a raise?
  Our office reviews child support orders every three years if the family is receiving cash assistance. Other orders being enforced through our office may be reviewed every three years if either parent requests such a review in writing. Ask you caseworker for information about reviewing and, if appropriate, modifying your child support order.
  Is there a limit to the amount of money that can be taken from my paycheck for child support?
  The amount that can be withheld from an employee's disposable wages is limited by the Federal Consumer Credit Protection Act to 50 percent of disposable earnings if an obligated parent has a second family and 60 percent if there is no second family. These limits are each increased by 5 percent ( to 55% and 65% ) if payments are in arrears for a period equal to 12 weeks or more.
directions OCDA legal actionslinkslocationhomemedical supportmodificationsdirectionsestablishmentemancipationemployersenforcementenforcing_licensepaternitypaymentstate hearingtax offsetwhen call most wanted in from the garden home home home