child support
  As an EMPLOYER, you MUST:
  • Withhold the correct amount of income for the length of the support obligation or face penalties.
  • Honor an income withholding order/notice from another state.
  • May charge the Obligor a specific amount for performing the withholding not to exceed $2.00 or 1% of amount to be withheld.
  • Remit monies to the CSEA/CSPC immediately or within 7 business days of the pay date.
  • Remit payments to: OH CSPC, PO Box 182394, Columbus, OH 43218-2394.
  • Keep employment information up-to date.
  • Report any lump sum payment of over $150.00 the Obligor may be receiving such as bonuses, commissions, or severance pay no later that the earlier of 45 days before the lump sum is to be made.
  Duties regarding Medical Insurance:
  • On notice from the CSEA, enroll the Obligor’s children for medical insurance without subject to an open enrollment period.
  • On notice from the CSEA, withhold monies for medical insurance for the children, if available.
  • Failure to enroll the employee on request by the CSEA may prompt contempt charges by the court.
  • Must inform the CSEA of any health insurance coverage changes, including termination of coverage.
  Remember, EMPLOYERS are subject to a fine determined under State law for discharging an Employee/Obligor from employment, refusing to employ, or taking disciplinary action against any Employee/Obligor because of a child support withholding.
  What is new hire reporting?

One of the most significant changes in child support enforcement was the implementation of the New Hire Reporting Program. New hire reporting is the process by which an employer reports information on newly hired employees shortly after the employee is hired.

Security and privacy of data is a major focus of the program. Federal law requires all states to establish safeguards for confidential information handled by state agencies.

All Ohio new hire data is transmitted over secure and dedicated lines to the National Directory of New Hires (NDNH). Federal law also requires that the NDNH restrict access to and use of new hire information to authorized persons for authorized purposes.

New hires must be reported to the Ohio New Hire Reporting Program, within 20 days of the date of hire.

  What are my new hire reporting responsibilities?

Not only is New Hire Reporting the law, it is a valuable tool to the child support agencies in locating alleged fathers and absent parents to assist in paternity and support establishment, not to mention the benefit of collecting support for the children who deserve it.

There are several ways in which employers can comply with their new hire reporting responsibilities.



  What information should I include on the remittance documentation to assure the payment is posted properly?
  It is best to include all of the following:
  What if the information on the monthly billing statement doesn't match my employee records?

You should contact the county holding the order regarding billing statement questions under the following circumstances:

  • Employee name, SSN, case / order number does not match;
  • Employee listed on the billing statement is no longer employed;
  • Employee is missing from billing statement;
  • Employer name or address is incorrect.
  What if I have already requested changes be made to the billing statements and those changes are not yet reflected?
  Please be patient. The state is working to correct and update all employee employer information.
  Why do I need to list the SETS case number, isn't the employee name and social security number sufficient?
  Only if there is a match to one case. An employee with multiple cases will cause the payment to become an exception and it will need to be sent to research for resolution and proper posting. This may cause unnecessary delays in getting the money out to the household.
  What do I do if an employee asks me to withhold child support?

If your employee presents a court order that directs payment through the CSEA, then it is acceptable to initiate withholding at the employees request and follow the terms of the order.

It will be necessary to obtain the SETS case number to include with your payments. If the employee does not have an order, send him/her to the CSEA to establish one.

  How long after I receive the notice do I begin withholding?
  Income providers are responsible to begin deducting child support immediately (but no later than the first pay period occurring 14 business days after the date of the Notice) upon receipt of a "Notice of Income Withholding", known as JFS 04047, employers are to withhold and remit funds for child support immediately (but no later than 7 business days from the date that it is withheld from the employees pay).
  Our pay cycle does not match the ordered support payment cycle. How do I calculate the amount of Child Support to withhold?

If your pay cycle does not match the ordered support payment cycle, use the following guidelines:

If pay is WEEKLY, multiply the monthly amount by 12 and divide by 52 $365.00/month order 365.00 * 12 = 4380.00 4380.00/52 = $84.23 should be withheld per week

multiply the monthly amount by 12 and divide by 26
$75.00/month order
75.00*12 = 900.00
900.00/26 = $34.62 should be withheld bi-weekly

multiply the monthly amount by 12 and divide by 24
$1500.00/month order
1500.00*12 = 18000.00
18000.00/24 = $750.00 should be withheld bi-monthly

  How do I determine how much is to be applied to each case if the employee has more than one order ?

As an employer, you must honor all Income Withholding Notices but may be unable to comply with the entire amount ordered to be withheld based on the CCPA Guidelines. (Refer to ORC 3121.034 and the Federal Consumer Credit Protection Act (15 U.S.C. 1673(b)).

A Multi-Order Calculator is now available for employers use. This calculator will determine the maximum amount of support to be applied to each of an employee’s orders taking into consideration the CCPA Guidelines .


  When do I send in the withheld payments?
  You should forward the withheld payment immediately, but not later than 7 working days, after the payment was withheld from your employee.
  Where do I send in the withheld payments?
  Employers should remit payments to:
PO Box 182394
Columbus, OH 43218-2394
  Can I remit child support payments electronically?

There are methods available to pay child support electronically. ExpertPay is one way for Ohio employers or income providers to submit withholdings electronically.

ExpertPay is a secure website that allows employers to create and maintain an employer profile, enter employee data, submit withholding lists, and authorize electronic withdrawals of child support withholdings from the employer’s or income provider’s bank account. It is a simple, streamlined way to meet child support withholding responsibilities.

Employers or income providers who have used ExpertPay report an increase in accuracy while decreasing paperwork, postage costs, and mail time. Fraud and theft concerns are also reduced.

Employers or income providers can use ExpertPay to remit to all 50 states – but there could be a fee assessed for payments sent to states other than Ohio.

For more information, go to

Employers may also remit payments directly to the financial institution of CSPC. This is done through an Automated Clearing House, or ACH, which is a government regulated facility that coordinates electronic transactions.

You should call CSPC at 1.888.965.2676 before you make your first payment electronically.

  What do I do if my employee quits, is fired, or laid off?
  You should contact the County Department of Child Support which issued the wage withholding with the name of the employee, SETS case number, date of separation from employment, last known address and the name and address of the employee's new employer. You must continue to withhold wages through the employee's final paycheck.
  What kinds of payments are considered lump sum payments ?

An employer is liable to report to the Child Support Enforcement Agency that issued the Notice of Income Withholding (JFS 04074) an amount over $150. The Agency should receive notice of this lump sum payment at least 45 days prior to it being disbursed.

A lump sum payment is any income other than personal earnings that the employee may be entitled to. Examples are: bonus payments, commissions, severance pay, vacation pay*, sick leave*, etc. *vacation and sick pay – this pertains only to the “cash-out” of a vacation pay – when an employee opts to receive vacation or sick pay in lieu of taking actual vacation, sick time or leave.

The employer will receive either a court or administrative order to release the lump sum to the employee, or to remit the payment to Child Support Payment Central (CSPC) to be applied to child support arrears.

  How do I indicate a lump sum payment?

A lump sum payment is any kind of annual awards payment, such as a performance bonus.

If you have an employee that is due a lump sum payment of $150.00 or more you will need to: Notify the county CSEA 45 days prior to paying out the employee's lump sum payment. If the payment is eligible for withholding, the county CSEA will send you an order instructing you on the payment.

When remitting a lump sum, clearly indicate Lump Sum on the remittance documentation, regardless of whether you use the billing statements to remit. It is important to differentiate the lump sum payment from a regular withholding

  How does medical support work?

The Department of Child Support Enforcement is responsible for establishing and enforcing health insurance orders for child support cases when coverage is available and reasonable or expected to become available.

The employer will receive a notice to enroll the employee. The notice is known as the National Medical Support Notice and is in use in all States. The employer must enroll the child(ren) and deduct any premiums from the employee's income/wages. This order may be subsequent to or in conjunction with an order to withhold wages/income for child support, and is subject to CCPA restrictions.

The dependent(s) must be enrolled in the insurance plan without regard to seasonal restrictions (i.e. Open Enrollment) The dependant(s) may not be denied coverage on the grounds that the parents were not married, that the dependant is not claimed as a dependant on the employee’s federal income tax return, or the dependant does not reside with the employee or in the insurer's service area.

  My employee tells me he/she can't afford to pay the premium.
  Your employee is bound by the court order to provide medical insurance if it is available through employment. The employee does have due process rights allowing him/her to contest the medical support order, but until that order is modified, you must enroll the children and deduct the premiums.
  My employee told me he/she no longer has to provide health insurance for the child(ren) because the other parent can get it at a lower cost. May I stop deducting premiums from my employee's wages?
  No. You must continue to deduct premiums until you receive documentation from the court or the department of child support enforcement advising you of changes in the medical support order.
establishmentmedical supportemployerslocationenforcementlinksdirectionslegalactionsinterstatewhen should i callenforcing_licenseemancipation most wantedpaternitytax offsetmodificationsstate hearingpayment central OCDA legal actionslinkslocationhomemedical supportmodificationsdirectionsestablishmentemancipationemployersenforcementenforcing_licensepaternitypaymentstate hearingtax offsetwhen call most wanted home in from the garden home home